Friday, October 5, 2007

Open letter from Tommy from the hill to Michael Ring T.D.,

This week, which is positive ageing week we feature an open letter from Tommy Goggins to Michael Ring T.D., on some of the issues facing pensioners in rural Ireland.

Dear Michael,
I had a letter there last week from Bobby Daly over in Thailand. He left this godforsaken place six months ago because he was crippled with rheumatism and boredom. He’s feeling younger than ever and according to him the women over there don’t have any of the aul hang-ups that they have here in the West of Ireland. His pension buys him all he needs and wants in Thailand, sure you’d just about feed yourself and have a couple of drinks on the pension here.
I have a home help from the Health Board coming around to me twice a week. She is being well paid by the health board to provide me with the services I need but in three years I never even got a decent slobbery kiss off her. Every New Year’s eve I brush me teeth, have meself well shaved and one year I took a bath before she came over on the off chance. I nearly caught me death of cold out of having that bath, I was in bed for a week after it. It wasn’t the result I was hoping for. Every New Year’s Eve she comes over and I don’t even get a hug off her. Sure its time there was proper services available to bachelors living on their own in rural Ireland. Bachelors have needs too. See Michael when you have a nice fire down and a bit of grub in your stomach you’d be ready for other things especially when you’d be feeling clean after a bath. It’s like bringing a horse to water, getting’ him in the mood for a drink and then telling him he’s not allowed to drink, sure that’s pure cruelty.
And there’s no point in telling me about the public health nurse she’s no better she doesn’t even wear a proper nurses uniform when she calls. Mary Beatrice Clancy is lively alright but she is only into middle-aged men not pensioners.
I have me hopes that you’ll be able to do something for me because of your new portfolio with responsibility for rural affairs. The more affairs we can have in rural areas Michael the better. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
All the best,
Tommy Goggins.

No comments:

Google